Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pineapple Infused Tequila

So this is a fun gift idea - or make it for yourself!  Either way, it is delicious.

Ingredients:
750 ml of your fave tequila (I used Patron Silver)
1 20 oz can of pineapple
2 tsp white sugar
A large bottle or jar with an airtight lid

Directions:
This is a very simple recipe, in fact, I would say it's nearly impossible to mess up.  Choose a bottle before purchasing the ingredients, as that will determine the amount of tequila and pineapple you use.  For this infusion, I used a tall bottle, and for that reason I used Dole Pineapple Tidbits, which are basically small chunks that I knew would fit within the narrow neck of that particular size bottle.  If I were using a mason jar or pitcher, I would probably use the rings, because I think they look prettier.

Next, decide if you would prefer fresh or canned pineapple.  I have used both.  The fresh pineapple doesn't last as long in the bottle (meaning you will need to strain the liquor sooner) and is more time consuming to cut up; however, it does have a fresher and more intense flavor.  If you do use fresh, I would suggest adding an additional teaspoon of sugar.  If you use canned pineapple, simply choose which type according to which type of bottle you plan to keep it in.

Finally, place pineapple into the pitcher/jar.  Add sugar.  Fill container to the top with tequila and close.  Let marinate for no less then 24 hours.  For the strongest flavor, wait 1-2 weeks before consuming.  Once ready, the tequila can be mixed into pineapple margaritas, cocktails, drunk straight or in shots - just remember, this is still straight tequila, so don't drink it like water!  The pineapple should keep in the bottle for about a month, a bit less if fresh.  If the pineapple begins to discolor, simply strain the liquor and discard the pineapple.  Usually this delicious elixir will be gone before you have to worry about that.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment