Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Catering Gig

In October, I started culinary school. I made the decision very spontaneously, even though in retrospect it seems like I should have thought of it sooner!

A couple of weeks after I started school, a friend recommended me to a local business owner who hosts many events. It was quite a coincidence, as I had never really thought about catering until I registered for school.  Apparently, the lady in question, Alex, is a psychic!

So, three weeks into culinary school, I was asked to cater a vegetarian party for 50 people.  Luckily, hosting so many parties and cooking so many simultaneous courses really prepared me for this type of event.

Here are some photos and recipes from the party, which was hosted at House of Trend, an upscale clothing boutique here in Chicago - House of Trend on Facebook

The owner wanted something creative, as his clientele is very artistic, so I came up with some fun ideas. I purchased a few styrofoam shapes from a craft store, covered them in silver & black foil, then used them as pedestals for my serving platters. 


Ceasar Salad Boats


Gorgonzola Truffles


For the next dish, I used the styrofoam itself as a serving platter, simply sticking the skewers directly into the cubes. The material is flexible enough that the skewers were easy to remove and it was a nice presentation.

Antipasto Skewers


Curried Cranberry and Almond Pinwheels



Avocado Pesto Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes



Mac and Cheese "Sushi" Rolls



Bananas Foster Cups



I was lucky to have my beloved, hard-working boyfriend Kyle lug platters, photograph the food beautifully, and work as my sous chef.  The guests were all happy and I had a great time at the event. Getting paid for something so fun almost seems like stealing!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment