Monday, July 30, 2012

Wedding Shower Cake

This post is mostly about the pretty pictures.

I won't write out the full recipe since I assume if someone is ambitious enough to make a cake of this type, they will be confident enough to choose their own flavors and fillings.

This is a tiered fresh fruit cake with buttercream frosting.  The first layer is mango, the second layer is blueberry, the third layer is strawberry champagne, and finally, an itty bitty mango layer on top.

I flavored the icing slightly differently for each flavored tier.  For the mango, I made a cream cheese frosting.  I paired the blueberry layer with a standard vanilla buttercream.  And for the champagne strawberry, I used a white chocolate cream cheese frosting.

I almost stopped at 3 layers but at the last minute decided to add a fourth!


I dyed each of the frostings to match the cake inside, and filled the layers with the corresponding fruit (blueberries, sliced strawberries, mango chunks).  I also baked some of the fresh fruit into each layer, and added a bit of pure extract to really give it a strong fruit flavor.


I used plastic dowels between each layer to add support, and a couple of straws in the top layer.  The tiers are 12 inches, 10 inches, 8 inches, and 6 inches.  As I added each layer, I used a star pastry tip to pipe frosting along the sides to seal it, and then added edible pastel pearls on each edge.  Finally, I garnished the entire cake with colorful edible flowers.

This took me about six hours, but I think the result was worth it, and the customer said it was delicious!  Yay!


This last picture is funny because of the lighting.  That's daybreak folks... yes, I stayed up all night making this cake!  It was light out when I finished.  What can I say, I'm a dedicated baker!


No comments:

Post a Comment