Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Deep Fried Cheese Ravioli

Someone once told me that you could make ravioli with won ton wrappers.  I didn't think much of it, since I don't even like ravioli that much.  Then one day, considering what to make for dinner, I realized I had some interesting items - won ton wrappers, string cheese, and Italian sausage.  Hmm... deep fried ravioli?!  A star was born.

Ingredients:
1 package won ton wrappers 
8-10 sticks string cheese
3 cups vegetable oil
3-4 eggs, whisked
Meat and/or veggies (I used Italian sausage, mushrooms, and fresh basil)
Marinara sauce for dipping


Directions:
This will make about 30 ravioli.  Before you start, unwrap your string cheese and cut into desired lengths.  I used about 1/4 of a string cheese for each ravioli, but if you are going to make plain cheese ravioli, you might want to use more.  I decided to use string cheese because it was easier to contain within the flimsy won ton wrapper.  And, because I had a package of it in the fridge!
Lightly whisk eggs in a bowl.  Take one won ton wrapper, and with a pastry brush, lightly dampen edges of wrapper with egg.  Place fillings on top, being careful not to overfill.  Rest an additional won ton wrapper on top, and press down on edges to close.
At this point, it is up to you how you want to shape these,  I chose to use the scalloped edge of a pastry roller to cut pretty, flowered looking edges on these.  A plain round cookie cutter would also work just fine, and could be more efficient!  Either way, at this point it is time to heat the vegetable oil in a pan, to medium high.
Fry these at medium to high heat for about 2 minutes per side, or until just browned.  Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain, then sprinkle with salt.  Serve while hot, with marinara sauce, if desired.  Enjoy!
 

1 comment: