Sunday, October 16, 2011

Vodka Gummi Worms

These are also referred to as "rummy bears" and "drunken gummi worms".  I saw this recipe on the web, and, being a raging alcoholic, had to try it!

I made these a couple of weeks ago, and just yesterday I heard on the radio that kids are making them to take to school, which seems very sly of them.  So, in case there is a sudden crackdown on gummis, I want to state in writing that I only served these to people 21 and over!  Don't come knocking on my door, ATF.

This is an easy recipe to make, but it does take a couple of days to fully infuse the gummis, so you'll need to be patient!  I made a big batch, so cut this down for smaller portions. 

Ingredients:
16 oz each gummi worms and bears
2 cups vodka
1 cup passion fruit juice 

Directions:
This recipe is very versatile - use just worms or bears, or swap out the vodka for rum or tequila, etc.  You can also use any type of fruit juice you would like.  One important note - marinate these in glass or ceramic, not metal or plastic.  Apparently from what I read when researching this recipe, plastic and/or metal can give a strange flavor to the gummis.

Basically, just remove the candy from the packages and place in a bowl large enough to allow them to expand.  For some reason, the bears do not expand as well, but as you can see below,  the worms more than doubled in size, so make sure you leave enough room in the top of your bowl.
Once you have placed them in the bowl, pour in the vodka (or other alcohol, if you desire.  I actually used cherry rum for the bears, and plain vodka for the gummi worms).  Mix thoroughly, cover and place in the fridge.

Stir every couple of hours, or at least a few times per day.  Once the gummis have soaked up most of the vodka, add the fruit juice.  These can be eaten after about a day, but the longer they soak, the bigger and better they will get!  Also, you can add more liquor if you like.  I ended up adding about another cup on day four.  I let mine soak for an entire week and they were delicious.  I actually preferred them to regular gummis, because they were softer and more moist and flavorful.  The gummi bears were not as good as the worms though - they didn't soak up as much liquor, and they were also very slippery and hard to get out of the bowl!  Next time, I'll stick to the worms.

I served these at a party and they were gone by the end of the night.  I think our friend Josh, below, ate about 75% of them.  All in all, a great success!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment