Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ginger Rum Shandies

I found this recipe in Food Network magazine.  I had never heard of a shandy, so I looked it up - basically, it's supposed to be a cocktail made with lemonade and beer.  I suppose this is close, but it seems they cheated a bit with the name.  Regardless, it's a refreshing drink, so I won't argue!


Ingredients:
10 thin slices peeled ginger, plus more for grating
1 cup sugar
1 cup apple juice

10 ounces spiced rum, preferably Sailor Jerry
2 cups wheat beer, preferably Hoegaarden
Apple slices, for garnish

Directions:
Make the ginger syrup by combing sliced ginger, sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then reduce to medium and cook until syrupy, about 15 to 20 minutes.  Strain and let cool.


I made this as a pitcher, so after the first step, I combined the remaining ingredients with ice and let chill.  To make individual cocktails, for each glass, combine 2 tablespoons each of the ginger syrup and apple juice, 2 ounces rum and 3 or 4 gratings of ginger in a cocktail shaker with ice.  Shake and pour into a glass.  Top with 1/2 cup beer and garnish with apple slices.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment