Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Crab Stuffed Filet Mignon with Whiskey Peppercorn Sauce

 
I usually like my seafood simple.  Why mess with perfection and mix lobster with mayo and then stick it in a sandwich?  I've never understood that...  This recipe sounded good so I thought I'd try it, despite any reservations I might have about putting my crab meat in a sauce.  It turned out very nicely! 

Ingredients: 

Crab Stuffing:
1/2 pound crab meat (you can use fresh or lump crab, it's up to you!)
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter, melted
Salt and pepper, to taste

Whiskey Peppercorn Sauce:
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
2 1/2 ounces whiskey (I used Jack Daniels)
1 cup heavy cream
    
Filet:
2 filet mignon steaks
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste 

Directions: 
Bring steaks to room temperature and drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Cut an even horizontal slit through each steak, about 3/4 through.  In a small bowl, mix cooked crab meat, melted butter, and garlic.  Season to taste.  Reserve and keep warm.

Next, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.  Place steaks in pan and cook to desired doneness.  Remove and keep warm.  Add the whiskey to the warm pan to deglaze.  Pour in beef broth and add black pepper. Simmer until reduced to 1 cup, stirring frequently.  Add cream and season to taste, then remove from heat and set aside.

Pour sauce in a pool on each plate and arrange steaks on top.  Stuff with crab mixture and sprinkle with parsley, if desired, then serve.  Yum!


It turned out like a heart!  I didn't do it on purpose... I'm not quite that cheesy.  But it is cute, isn't it?

1 comment: