Friday, May 11, 2012

Homemade Chorizo

I was so excited to try this recipe because I am obsessed with chorizo.  I was not disappointed by the results... it's delicious!

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 white onion, chopped
1 lb ground pork
5 tbsp ground guajillo chile pepper
1 tbsp Mexican oregano
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp coriander
3 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup lime juice

Directions:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil, then add garlic and onion.  Cook until softened and beginning to turn brown, about 10 minutes.  Add the pork and cook on high until slightly browned.

Add spices to the pork mixture, tasting as you go along - be sure to adjust this to your preferred level of spice.  I like it spicy so I just kept adding more of the chile pepper!  I tried to make this as close to real chorizo as possible - very spicy, tangy and flavorful!  Simple reduce the spices for a milder version.


Next, add the lime juice and vinegar and allow to cook until the liquid has reduced.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

This is great in tacos, with eggs or potatoes, or in any variety of Mexican delights (quesadillas, hmmm?)  It will last in the refrigerator for about a week, or can be frozen for later use.  Enjoy!

Tips
The original recipe called for using dehydrated guajillo chiles and toasting, then rehydrating them.  I happened to find ground guajillo chiles at the store, so I used that instead, but either way should work just fine.  After I made this, I saw another recipe for homemade chorizo that incorporated tequila, so I might try that next!



No comments:

Post a Comment